If you ever needed reasons as to why you should try freelancing then read it from the horses’ mouth. One of our marketing freelancers, Lisa Cleaver, has successfully made the leap from permanent to freelance and loves it!
“Having worked in an office environment for over 10 years, the 9-5 became a bit of a grind and with the added responsibilities of owning a home, having family commitments and generally wanting to live my life, I ventured out into the big bad world of freelancing and running my own business. It was the best decision I ever made and I'd recommend it to anyone but there are a few things to watch out for too.”
Things to watch out for:
- Jobs are not guaranteed so be proactive and plan ahead.
- There can be periods where you are waiting for payment, get a contract in place so you know when exactly you will be paid and have funds set aside to tide you over.
- Tax. You are responsible for this, calculate it and budget for it because when January comes round HMRC don't wait.
- It can be lonely, you don't have the luxury of colleagues sitting next to you, so make sure you communicate, pick up the phone, be aligned with projects and keep yourself sane.
- You get to be your own boss, and manage your time. Which means more time to do housework, exercise, spend time with your children, whatever you want. You generally get a really nice work-life balance.
- You can choose the jobs you take on and the people you work with.
- The money is generally very good as long as you know your worth and charge the right rates.
- Sunday night and Monday morning become much more appealing!
These are incredibly wise and insightful words from someone who has successfully made the switch. I appreciate that freelancing isn’t for everyone but if you are thinking of giving it a go and you need any advice regarding making the transition please contact me for a chat.